Sunday, June 22, 2008

News: Entertainment Weekly's New Classics: Style

Entertainment Weekly's come out with lists of the top 100 moments (since 1983) that changed fashion and pop culture. Over on my other blog I've discussed my likes and dislikes of their movie, TV, and music choices. I wasn't happy with those lists and I'm not with this one, either.

The good:
I agree whole-heartedly with their number one choice of the legend-that-is Madonna, because... she's Madonna and it made her career (though how big was it really for fashion?) And I'm even happier to see Kurt Cobain's grunge look on the list, mostly because he still influences designers to this day.

The bad:
The inclusion of Amy Winehouse (as much as I like her music) is ridiculous; though her eye makeup did inspire the Fall '07 Chanel runway. And I think it's a good time to express my hate for J. Lo's hideous 2000 Grammy dress; I've always detested it, but now more than ever.



The New Classics: Style, Top Ten

Click to see the complete list

1. Madonna at the MTV Video Music Awards (1984)
2. Sarah Jessica Parker in the opening credits of SATC (1998)
3. Michael Jackson in the ''Thriller'' video (1983)
4. Sharon Stone at the Oscars (1996)
5. Kurt Cobain and grunge style (1991)
6. Mr. T's gold chains in The A-Team (1983)
7. Amy Winehouse's frocks, bold bras, and sky-high bouffant (2007)
8. The best red carpet dress: Jennifer Lopez at the Grammys (2000)
9. The worst red carpet dress: Björk at the Oscars (2001)
10. Jennifer Aniston's haircut, The Rachel, on Friends (1994)

No comments: